01 August 2011

CENTRAL AVENUE SIGHTS

If you've been following my blog for any length of time, you probably know that I have something of a love affair going on with Central Avenue, south of downtown Los Angeles. Or at least with its history. Up until the late 1940s it was one of the most glamorous, vibrant, fascinating, musically and culturally rich and exciting stretches of street to be found on planet Earth.

I'd learned a bit about it growing up in Los Angeles. I learned a lot more about it in the course of researching my first book: WRONG SIDE OF THE WALL. And then I learned even more about it in researching the book that I have most recently written - which my agent is currently sending out to editors - CENTRAL AVENUE.

I blogged about Central Avenue and included some photos in November 2009. (If you missed it, you can see it by clicking on this sentence.)

This past weekend was the 16th Annual Central Avenue Jazz Festival. The festival is an important part of the efforts to acknowledge the Avenue's history and to revitalize it as a thriving residential and commercial community. It's a good thing to support and it's also a lot of fun.

Some pictures are below. As for the new book, as soon as I know where it's going to find a home, look here - and elsewhere on my website - for an excerpt and further information.


>




1 comment:

Paul D. Marks said...

Great pix, Eric. Like you I have a love affair with Central Ave. too. When I was a kid I used to go down there with my dad and have some great memories of that. Looking forward to your book coming out.
--Paul
http://pauldmarks.blogspot.com/