14 July 2009

MY KIND OF TOWN

Chicago is simply one of the very best cities on the entire planet. It's got nearly everything other than weather I can stand for a few months of the year. (Well, it has pretty awful traffic also, but it does have public transit.)

It even has the best carnitas I have ever had, anywhere. And I know my carnitas, and have had them in many places throughout Mexico and the U.S. (Carnitas Uruapan, 18th St. in Pilsen.)

It's got plenty of blues, and you already know I love the blues. Here's the wall of blues player masks at the old Chess Records Studio museum on Michigan Ave.And here's Pinetop Perkins. (Played sometimes with pretty much everyone, including Muddy Waters - although I liked Otis Spann a whole lot better.)

Millennium Park is one of the greatest, most fun urban parks anywhere. And, at the moment it's prairie garden is in bloom.



Chicago also seems to somehow come up with money to preserve and restore amazing architecture and other such things, when many cities can't seem to. This is the Tiffany glass skylight in what used to be the old library and is now the Cultural Center.

And then, of course, there is THE LEDGE, on the 103rd floor of what used to be the Sears Tower and is now the Willis Tower. My feet.Me.
My sister Nancy.

No comments: