09 February 2009

PRETZEL WOMEN

Eva likes to pretzel herself into a variety of unnatural, if impressive, positions in very hot rooms. It's called Bikram Yoga, and depending on the power source, I suppose it is an increasingly significant contributor to global warming. It is performed in rooms heated to somewhere between 105 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

Luckily, yesterday, they didn't crank up the heaters in the ballroom of the Westin Hotel near LAX. We were able to watch the International Women's finals of the Bishnu Charan Ghosh Cup in relative comfort. Most of the positions the competitors got themselves into didn't look all that comfortable to me.

I realize that as I get older, flexibility becomes an increasingly important issue. In the end, gravity is all of our enemy, and being of limber limb will at least help prolong the battle. I can't do any of this stuff though. And I'm not even trying. (Eva can do some of it, and she swears by it, and I'm happy for her.)

Here's some photographic evidence:





3 comments:

Bill Cameron said...

It hurts my back just to look at those.

Julie Weathers said...

All right, that is just disturbing.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

I'm speechless, and that doesn't happen often. How about some photos of men doing that?